Link units are being retired
Google in December 10, 2020
We've decided to retire link ads. This is to modernize our available ad formats, based on the feedback from users, publishers and advertisers. Going forward, we’ll be focussing on improving and developing other ad formats to help you grow.
From March 10, 2021:
- You'll no longer be able to create link ad units.
- Responsive link ads will begin to serve display ad units on your site(s).
- Your link ad units will be renamed with "[previously link ad unit]" added to the end of the ad unit name. This will apply to both responsive and fixed-size link ad units.
- Fixed-size link ads will stop serving on your site(s).
- We'll collapse each ad unit where possible. In other cases we'll show a blank ad.
If you're using responsive link ads, you don’t need to take any action at this time. Our experiments show that, on average, responsive display ads can perform as well as link ads.
If you're using fixed-size link ads, you should remove the ad units on your site and try other ad formats instead, such as: